Home


Welcome


About Us


Special Exhibits


Permanent Collection


What's New


Get Involved



Permanent Collection Morris Plains Museum   

The Morris Plains Museum offers visitors a wide variety of objects to browse and learn about, each of which is a product of Morris Plains's long history.

  • Homer Davenport - Famous political cartoonist and author who moved to Morris Plains in the early 1900s. He is credited with Teddy Roosevelt's election and the importation of Arabian horses into the United States. Museum holdings include:
    * Original Davenport drawings
    * Davenport books
    * Photos of Davenport, his family, and his horses
    Homer Davenport
    Homer Davenport.

  • Jonathan Roberts - Successful New York businessman who moved to Morris Plains in the late 1800s. He established what is now the Morris Plains Library and Roberts Garden. Museum holdings include:
    * Books
    * Family photographs
    * Business letters
    * History of Morris Plains Library
    Roberts Garden
    Glenbrook, now the Municipal Library, and Robert�s Garden.

  • Julia Beers - Morris Plains's first historian, born in town in 1862. She wrote A History of Early Morris Plains in 1926, and was also the first librarian when the library was located on the second floor of the Morris Plains School on West Hanover Avenue. Museum holdings include:
    * Original manuscript and notes for the History
    * Microfilm copies of manuscript and notes
    * Photographs
    Julia Beers
    Julia Beers.

  • The Farmer's Almanac - Headquartered in Morris Plains and operated by Daniel Merchant between 1907 and 1933. Museum holdings include:
    * Original editions of the Almanac

  • Native Americans - Lenni Lenape tribe, who populated the Morris Plains area prior to the arrival of European settlers. Museum holdings include:
    * Arrowheads
    * Tools
    * Lenape language book

  • Monahan's Band - Local band started by blacksmith Lawrence Monahan. Museum holdings include:
    * Original instruments used by the band
    * Sheet music for songs performed by the band
    * Band uniforms
    * Photographs
    * Items created in blacksmith shop
    Monahan's Band
    Monahan�s Band in the 1930�s. The band was started in 1888.

  • Morris Plains Fire Department - Formed in 1907 following a fire in 1906 that destroyed the Weise Hotel and two adjacent stores. Museum holdings include:
    * Original Morris Plains Fire Department uniforms from early in its history
    * Photographs

  • Oral Histories from Longtime Residents - Captured on tape in the form of interviews by town historian Daniel Myers.

  • Greystone Park - Greystone Park, originally named The New Jersey State Insane Asylum, opened in 1887 on 400 acres of prime farmland. It was the equivalent of a self-contained city and boasted the largest continuous building foundation in the nation prior to the construction of the Pentagon. Museum holdings include:
    * Maps
    * Early Annual Reports
    * Articles published in the print shop
    * Copies of the newspaper "Psychogram"
    * Pictures and postcards
    * Book of poetry written by a patient and published in the hospital print shop
    * Various handcrafted items made by the patients
    Greystone Park
    Greystone Hospital�s Main Building.

  • Postcard Collection - Our assortment of postcards includes:
    * Antique postcards of Morris Plains and the surrounding area
    * Antique holiday greeting cards. The illustrations and wording all express the true meaning of the occasion.

  • School Days - A collection of pictures, yearbooks, and programs of schools attended by the children of Morris Plains. The schools include:
    * Morris Plains School (Hanover Avenue) built in 1866 and now an apartment house
    * The new Morris Plains School built on the corner of Speedwell Avenue and Academy Road in 1908
    * Saint Virgil's School opened in September of 1910
    * Morris Plains Borough School built in 1923
    * Mountain Way School built in 1956
    * Community Park School built in 1966 and now the borough Community Center
    * Morristown High School opened in 1869
    Morris Plains School
    The Class of 1906 or 1907 at the New Frame Schoolhouse.

  • Local Churches - A collection of photographs, bulletins, programs, and parish newspapers. The churches include:
    * Morris Plains Presbyterian, established 1876
    * Saint Virgil's Catholic Church, established 1881
    * Saint Paul's Episcopal Church, established 1928
    * Trinity Lutheran Church, established 1954
    Morris Plains Presbyterian Church-1876
    The First Presbyterian Church in 1876.

  • The Morris NewsBee - The newspaper is on microfilm from 1964 - 2000 and is available for local research.

  • The Morris Plains Chronicle - The Chronicle is on microfilm from March 1929 to March 1930 and January 1940 to September 1941.

  • Morris Plains Homes - Numerous pictures showing the transformation of Morris Plains from a farming community to a retreat for wealthy families to a modern day suburban borough. Museum holdings include:
    * Photographs of existing and demolished homes keyed into a map of town
    * Photographs of mansions destroyed by fires
    Bretton Woods
    The Canfield-Laudig Home, originally built in 1915, was on the Arbor Terrace site.